When PM Works, Amazing Results Happen
Tres Roeder, PMP, MBA
On June 27th the Summer Olympics begin. It is a mega-project. Several years ago a few key people were asked what their role would be. Their responses are below:
• Louise Jolly, Ticketing Manager: In 1000 days I will help print and sell over 9 000 000 tickets.
• John Armitt, Chairman of the Olympic Delivery Authority: I will be part of the team building an Olympic Park the size of 357 football pitches.
• Claire Alina, Workforce Manager: I will have helped to recruit up to 70 0000 volunteers.
• Morag Reavley, New Media Manager: I will have helped to create a website which will have more than 500 000 000 visitors during Games time.
• John McConnell, Risk Assessor: In 1000 days I will recruit 5000 security guards.
• Catharina Reynolds, International Inspiration Advisor: I will inspire 12 000 000 children in 20 countries around the world to take part in sport through the international inspiration programme.
• Stephanie Applegate, Sustainability Co-ordinator: I will help to build a 120 meter wind turbine that will supply enough power for 1000 homes.
• Farisha Constable, Brand Protection Lawyer: I will have helped to draft over 5000 legal documents.
• Chris Lipscomb, Sport Operations Manager: I will buy 2030 footballs.
• Tom Daley: Do more than 40 000 practice dives.
• Ly Tran, Accounts Co-ordinator: I will help to pay over 400 000 invoices.
• John Hopkins, Project Sponsor, Parklands and Public Realm Team: I will help plant 1 2000 000 trees shrubs and other plants on the Olympic Park.
• Deborah Hale, Torch Relay Producer: I will help 8000 people across the UK run with the Olympic flame.
• Ian Crockford, Project Sponsor Main Stadium Team: I will help to build an Olympic stadium big enough to hold 80 000 people.
• Michael Dalziel, Project Manager Live Sites: I will help London 2012 to broadcast 6670 hours of video on live sites.
As you sit down to enjoy the Olympics pay attention to all of the real-world project management unfolding before your eyes. From risk management, to stakeholder management, to hitting a due date that could not be missed, the project team has created amazing output. When project management works amazing results happen!
About Roeder Consulting:
For the past decade, we have used our balanced approach which blends people skills, business acumen and technical skills to help business and individuals implement their projects and programs more successfully. Whether you're a senior leader challenged with implementing a strategic imperative or a project manager leading an important initiative, we have the skilled consultants and trainers to help achieve your goals.
Visit us at www.roederconsulting.com/pminew.php for project management soft skills training. For a PMI Northeast Wisconsin Chapter specific discount enter code PMI-NEW.